The Haunting



Creeping, silently through the halls
Raising the hair on the back of my neck
to full attention
Heart, racing like a horse on the tracks.
The breath falling out of my
heavy chest, weighted
Deepened

It was then I realized
 for the first time I went to bed without you
I crawled into sheets that seemed cooler 
without your extra warmth and 
I have ice inside my veins now

Delicate girl
he said
you'd never hold it together
Even though you moved mountains
to clear his path to your heart
to your soul

You were his vessel, to pour his sorrows in
all the things he couldn't 
take about himself he gave them to you
so he could walk on like nothing was wrong.

He walked on like nothing was wrong.
All the dust he gathered on his travels
settled inside your lungs
and this is why it's so hard to breathe
I think.






Comments